Tortilla pie is a classic dish that my mom made for us all the time growing up. It is very delicious and so simple and easy to make.
Start out with a fun 9-inch pie dish like this one:
Then preheat the oven to 400°F. I sprayed my pie dish with some cooking spray to prevent sticking, wiping the dish with a paper towel to make the spray less thick and concentrated.
Then I poured the can of beans into a strainer so I could rinse them off and mix them with the corn.
Time for assembly! Start out with a tortilla in the bottom of the dish. Mine are green because I used spinach flour tortillas from Trader Joe’s but you can use whichever kind you prefer. Spread on about 1/3 cup of salsa.
Note: I haven’t tried this, but for all the experimenters out there, I think this could be even more delicious if a fresh salsa was used. I think I’ll try that next time!
After the salsa, add a few spoonfuls of the corn and bean mixture.
Sprinkle on about 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
Finally top with another tortilla. Continue this pattern – tortilla, salsa, corn and beans, and cheese – for the next two layers. Then top it all with the fourth tortilla.
Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 minutes at 400°F.
See the full recipe below.
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1 & 1/2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray and then wipe it with a paper towel to evenly cover the pan with a thin layer.
- Open the can of black beans, pour into a strainer, and rinse in cold water.
- In the strainer or a separate bowl, mix together beans and corn.
- Lay one tortilla in the bottom of the pan and cover in a thin layer of salsa, about 1/3 cup. Then top with a few spoonfuls of the bean and corn mixture, and finally sprinkle on about 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Repeat step 5 for the next two tortillas. Be sure to spread the salsa, corn, and beans to the edges of the tortillas to prevent the edges from sagging.
- Place the final tortilla on top and cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 400°F for about 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve with rice if desired. Enjoy!